I know exactly how you feel. I’ve been there too. You don’t believe me? Okay, read.
You’ve probably seen that quote where Billie Eilish once said that she ruined a lot of good things by being sad and you probably felt it like I did. I know that most people know you to be this cheerful extrovert or maybe, just maybe you’re quiet and you always seem so put together but what if it’s just a front and you know it? What if you just know how to mask your feelings because you don’t want to rub off on people negatively?
You have your bad days, those days when all you want to do is shut everyone out because you feel miserable or sad for one reason or another. People around you never believe that you’re depressed because they feel that it’s just not possible or maybe they just feel like you’re seeking attention. What they don’t know is that depression affects even the best of us. How else do you explain going from very happy to extremely sad in the space of one hour? Or how do you explain that your mind is always constructing different scenes to make you miserable?
I know that sometimes, you don’t even understand what’s going on with you. I know that people come to you and they’re like ”a problem shared is a problem half solved” but what if you don’t know what the problem is? What if you just want people to let you be?
I totally understand what you’re going through and you’re not alone. If you’re hoping for a solution, I don’t have one but I can share some stuff to help you anytime you feel down.
- Talk to God about how you’re feeling. If you’re a believer, you know how much this helps because the Holy Spirit is always there to listen to you and help you feel better.
- Do something you love to do. It makes you feel better. Anytime I feel down, I write. My journal has felt my pain more than anyone. Sometimes, the motivation to do what you love may not be there and that’s fine.
- Try to think happy thoughts. If you want to stop thinking about negative stuff, you have to counter it with positivity. I’m not about to pretend that it’s a piece of cake but the keyword is ’try’.
- Sleep is a form of escape but it doesn’t solve anything. When you wake up, it’s like starting again. Sad.
- It is a passing phase. You have to believe that it will pass and it will be sunny again.
- If you have to cry, cry. Sometimes, if you’re overwhelmed, crying is an outlet. Honestly, it’s better than keeping so many emotions bottled in.
- Self-harm or suicide will never be a solution. Anytime you feel depressed, remember that there’s so much good in the world and you can be part of it. Always remember that someone loves you too.
- Do not stop trying. Things may not be so good right now but you have to believe that it’ll only get better.
You may doubt it right now but the truth of the matter is that you’re stronger than you think and you’re going to overcome whatever it is you’re going through. Your sunny days are near and you just have to will yourself to believe it and you’ll be fine.
I’m rooting for you.
I couldn’t publish last week and I’m so sorry.
Can you relate?
What do you do when you find yourself in depressing situations? What’s your coping mechanism?
Please leave something positive in the comment section to encourage someone. You don’t know who might need it. I can’t wait to read them.